WAYS TO IMPROVE LACTATE THRESHOLD (LT)
* also called the “anaerobic threshold (AT)”
- Large volume of training at endurance intensity (adaptation occurs over months and years)
- Train around the LT: 1 – 3 workouts per week over 4 to 8 weeks (adaptation occurs over days and weeks)
WAYS TO IMPROVE VO2 MAX
- Max V02 is built through a large volume of endurance intensity training!
- High intensity intervals (at 95% of max); 1 – 3 workouts per week over a 4 to 8 week period (adaptation occurs over days and weeks)
WAYS TO IMPROVE ECONOMY
- Improve Technique
- Strength Training
- Intervals and Speed
- Equipment (less friction on the snow for instance)
WAYS TO IMPROVE STRENGTH
General and maximum strength enables the athlete to build specific strength safely and to maximum effect. General strength covers all major muscle groups, targeting the body’s core and important joints.
Specific and endurance strength is of primary importance to cross-country skiers. It uses ski specific motions, intensities and duration.